social site social site social site social site social site social site social site social site social site


home Home How to get Nepal Tourist Visa?

How to get Nepal Tourist Visa?

Tourist Visa

Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport in Nepal. Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under the Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. 'On Arrival' visa procedure is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during peak Tourist season. If you wish to skip those queues, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. The choice is yours.

If you have obtained a visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.

Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are 'Tourist Visas'.  They bear multiple Re entry facility. Tourist Visa 'On Arrival' is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ' Tourist Visa' to get into the country.  However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from the Department of Immigration by producing required documents.

Nationals of the following countries are requested to acquire Visa prior to their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of the Nepal Government. 













    Refugees with the travel document

Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA)  if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.

1st  Step

Fill in ' Arrival Card '

Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa ‘form ( you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting our official website  Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport).  If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring a visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after.  If so, you will have to fill it up again.

2nd  Step 

Make payment  at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)

Get the receipt

While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.

On Arrival Visa Fee at Entry Points

15 Days – 30 USD

30 Days – 50 USD

90 Days – 125 USD

3rd Step 

Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form,  payment receipts, and your passport Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visas to you upon his/her satisfaction.

Visa Extension Fee

Tourist visa extension is done for minimum 15 days with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.In the case of delay less than 150 days additional USD 5 per day as late fine.

Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)

Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:

Children below 10 years except for US citizens

Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year.  Afghan citizen is eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of the Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request a concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with the Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.

Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)

Chinese Nationals

Officials from China, Brazil, Russia, and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement

Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from the Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non-tourist visa extension can be done only at the Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).

FAQs related to Working Visa

1. What is the processing fee for Working Visa ?

​- 60 USD per month.

2. How much should I pay to get Dependent (Working Visa) for my spouse?

- 60 USD per month.

3. What additional document do I need to produce to get Dependent visa for my dependents?

- Recommendation letter from concerned line agency (Ministry of Nepal Government) asking DOI to issue Dependent Visa;

- The Recommendation letter should include details of each dependent (name/passport number/ relationship with the main applicant).

4. If I need to get a working visa for 15 days, how much should I pay?

 - It is 30 USD for half a month (15 days). If it exceeds 15 days, it is 60 USD / month. However, number of Visa days depends upon labour permit issued by the Department of Labour. You can apply neither for more or less.

5. I have three children below 10 years as my Dependent. How much should I pay to get them Dependent (Working) Visa?

- Children below 10 years get Gratis Visa without any charges.

6. Is my spouse allowed to work?

- No. As a Dependent of Working Visa holder, your spouse is not eligible for taking up jobs. Employment is prohibited. He/she should get separate 'Working Visa' to be able to work.

FAQs related to Arrival to Nepal

1. How can I get On Arrival Visa?

- Visit the link for detail information Click here to Visit Visa on Arrival Page

 2. What are the different kinds of On Arrival Visa?

- All 'On Arrival Visas' are Tourist Visas. In other words, Tourist Visas are Entry Visas. If you are traveling to Nepal for purposes other than tourism (sightseeing, traveling, visiting friends and families), you will have to change your visa status. Contact Department of Immigration with necessary documents to change the Visa category.

3. I am traveling to Nepal for a business meeting. What kind of visa should I get to enter Nepal?

- You have to get a Tourist visa as an entry visa. You can get it either from Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad or On Arrival (if eligible, check our website for detail). If you are investing and running a business in Nepal for the long term, you might consider getting a Business Visa.

4. I need a Tourist Visa with Multiple Re entry facility. What can I do?

- All Tourists Visas issued by Nepalese diplomatic missions and 'On Arrival' at the Entry & Exit points including Immigration office, TIA bear multiple Re - entry facility.  Whereas, Tourist Visas extended at DOI (Department of Immigration) and Pokhara Immigration Office comes with Multiple Re entry facility if you pay an additional 20 US dollars.

5. I have children of 5 years and 6 years to they need a visa, Does he/she need a Visa?

- Yes, However, they get it for free. Minors below 10 years get Gratis visa.

 6. What is Gratis Visa?

- It is a kind of Visa that is issued for free.

 7. I am an Indian citizen? Can I travel to Nepal with my Aadhar card or driving license?

- No.  We need a document that exclusively proves your nationality. Hence, you need to produce either valid Indian Passport or Election Card (issued by Election Commission) to enter into Nepal.

8. I am an Indian passport holder. I am travelling to Nepal with two kids below 12 years. They do not have passport. What should I do?

- Minors of an Indian passport holder (if accompanied by their parents) can travel to Nepal with their Student Identity Card or Birth Certificate.

9. I am an NRN cardholder. How many days Gratis visa do I get?

- Gratis visa to an NRN is issued for 30 days at the moment. It is subject to change as per directive issued by our line agencies (Department of Immigration and Ministry of Home Affairs)

 10. I want to bring a dog to Nepal. What should I do?

- Immigration and Customs are different entities in Nepal.  As it does not come under our jurisdiction, please contact (link of Department of customs) for necessary information.

11. I am an Afghan citizen. I learned that I need Visa prior to my Arrival in Nepal. What should I do?

- Please contact your closest Nepalese diplomatic missions to obtain Visa. Make sure you have a valid visa and passport before you board on a plane.

12. I do not want to wait in queue for visa at the Tribhuvan International Airport? What can I do?

- You can get Pre Arrival Visa to Nepal from Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad.

 13. How long does it take to get Visa On Arrival at the TIA?

- We have made things very simple and easy for travelers. Usually, you can get visas in less than an hour. Nevertheless, you can expect some delays and queues, especially during the peak tourist season.

 14. What currency is accepted for payment of required visa fees?

- It is better to carry American dollars (in cash) for payment even though we accept other currencies too.

 15. Does my Visa/Maestro/American Express card work?

- Yes. But we advise you to carry cash (American dollars) as well at least to cover your Visa expenses.

 16. I have obtained a visa from the Nepalese Embassy in London (United Kingdom).  When should I enter Nepal?

- You should come to Nepal within 6 months (from the visa issued date).

FAQs related to trekking Permits

Can I apply for a trekking permit on my own?​
- No. Only authorized trekking agencies can apply for trekking permits. Contact the trekking agency for the permit.

​2. Should I carry my permit while I am on trek?

- Yes. Carry your passport and trekking permit throughout your trek. Make sure you take care of your valuable document like passport.

Can I explore the route not included in my trekking permit?
- No. Deviation from prescribed routes of trekking permit is treated as violations of law.

Do I need to register at the Police checkpoints or Immigration Points?
- Yes, you should. It would be wise to register your trekking schedule and destination at your concerned embassy/consulate

FAQs relating to Study Visa

Can I take a job or work if I hold Study Visa?
- No. You are not allowed to work –paid or unpaid—under your Student Visa. Student Visas are issued to students pursuing their academic and nonacademic courses in Nepal.

I would like to apply for a Study Visa (Volunteer). What additional documents do I need to produce?
You should produce following additional documents along with other documents needed for regular Study Visa:-
- Recommendation letter from the Ministry of Education,

- Work Agreement from the Ministry of Home Affairs,

- Recommendation letter from Institution receiving volunteer in Nepal.

- Also Labour Permit from the Department of Labour (only for paid volunteer work)

Do I need to show my bank statement even though I am here on a fully-funded student exchange program?​
- Yes. We need to make sure that you have a bank account with sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in Nepal.

I would like to apply for a Study Visa to work (Teaching). What are the required documents?​
- Recommendation letter from the Ministry of Education

- Labour Permit issued by the Department of Labour

- Work Agreement issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs

- Other Documents (Appointment letter, tax clearance, copies of passport and Visa)

- Online form (Study)

5. How much should I pay to get Study Visa (Teaching)?

- 40 USD per month.

6. How is my Visa Fee determined for Study Visa (Teaching)?

- The total number of days is calculated by deducting the end date of your Labour Permit (as mentioned in Work Permit issued by the Department of Labour) from the visa issue date. Total number of days are then divided by 30. Half a month visa fee (i.e 20 USD) is charged for less than or equal to 15 days. A whole month fee (i.e 40 USD) is charged for any number of days exceeding 15 days.

What is the minimum amount of bank balance for the Non-Academic Program?​
- 1500 USD for six months /per individual. Additional 1000 USD per dependent (spouse/children of 10 years and above)

What is the minimum balance for Academic Program?​
- 3000 USD for six months /per individual per annum. Additional 2000 USD per dependent (spouse/children of 10 years and above)

Is it mandatory to produce my progress/Academic report card for the renewal or extension of my Study visa?​
- Yes. It is mandatory.

I have a Tourist Visa. What happens if I change my visa status to Study Visa before my Tourist visa expires?​
- Your Tourist Visa gets canceled. As you will have changed the category of your visa from Tourists to Non-Tourist, your new visa date starts from the day your Study visa is issued.

What determines the beginning date of a Student Visa?​
- The beginning date of your Student Visa is the date specified in your Recommendation letter from the Ministry of Education.

How much should I pay for a Dependent Visa for my children below 10 years?​
- It is issued for free. Minor below 10 years gets Gratis visa.

What are the documents I need to produce for a regular (non-volunteer non-teaching) study visa?​
- Visit the link

What are the visa fees for a volunteer study visa?​
- 40 USD per month. It can be issued for free only if recommended to do so by concerned line Ministry (Ministry of Education) based on pre-existing agreement.

What are the visa fees for a regular (non-teaching non-volunteer study visa)?​
- It depends upon your academic program and your nationality. please visit the link for details.

FAQs related to Relation Visa

How broad is the relationship basis to get Relation Visa?
- You can establish your relationship with any of your kin related to you by blood (within your three generations) via Relationship Certificate (issued by the concerned Local Government Body)

How long is the Relation Visa?
- It is issued for a maximum of one year.

How much should I pay for Relation to Visa processing?
- It is 5 USD per month. Additional 60 USD if you need multiple Re entry facility.

4. What is the minimum time period I can apply for a Relation visa?

- You can get it for a minimum of one month. Consider opting for a tourist Visa if it is for a shorter period. These kinds of Non-Tourist Visas are intended for foreign kins of Nepali citizens having to stay in Nepal for a longer period of time.

5. Do I get a Relationship Visa at the airport?

- No. It is issued from the Department of Immigration only. You should get a Tourist Visa from the airport as your Entry Visa.

6. Can I get 15 days Tourist Visa at the airport and apply for Non-Tourist (Relation Visa) at the Department of Immigration and get my visa extended for a month?

- Yes. You can absolutely do so. However, if you are visiting Nepal for a shorter period of time, you can consider some other options such as getting Tourist visas for 90 days issued at the airport "On Arrival". Relation visa is meant for foreign passport holders related (by blood) to Nepali citizens who need to stay in Nepal for a longer period of time for various reasons. We expect you to be considerate enough not to take this Visa option as a means for saving some buck for you.

7. I cannot bring my kin in person every time I need to renew my visa. What should I do?

- For renewal of Relation Visa (Non Tourist), physical presence of your kin (as mentioned in Relationship Certificate) is mandatory. If it is not possible, you always have options of extending Tourist Visa (if you have not exceeded 150 days limit of Tourist Visa) in a given visa year (January to December). Or you can also get Non Residential Nepali (NRN) card issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

8. What should I do to get NRN card?

- Contact your closest Nepalese embassies/consulates/diplomatic mission to find out procedures to obtain NRN card.

9. Am I allowed to work if I hold Relation Visa?

- No. You are allowed to work only after obtaining labour permit from Department of Labour. We at the Department of Immigration can facilitate the process by forwarding your labour permit application to our line ministry (Ministry of Home Affairs). Contact DOI (Non Tourist Visa Section) for details obout necessary documents. You will then have to go to Department of Labour and follow its procedures to obtain work/ Labor permit.

10. Can I apply for work/labour permit without having a job at hand?

- No. You can apply only after you are offered job by potential employer.

11. Do I have to renew work permit every time I renew my Relation Visa?

- Yes, as of now you should renew both your Visas and Work/Labour permit if you work and stay in Nepal for extended period of time.

Arrival/Departure Information

Immigration Office, TIA is the key frontline office under the Department of Immigration assuming central role in regulating Arrival and Departure of Nepali and foreign nationals. It is based on only International Airport of Nepal, i.e. Tribhuvan International Airport. Therefore, it happens to be the only entry and exit point for 'By Air' passengers travelling to and from Nepal. 

It is committed to supporting border control and national security in addition to serving other national and international interests including tourism promotion, curbing cross border crimes such as trafficking in person and terrorism. Striking delicate balance between tourism promotion and border control is one of our primary goals.It operates through Arrival and Departure Zone at TIA. It screens on an average 10,000 passengers daily.

Visa on Arrival

We have been facilitating tourism promotion through "Visa on Arrival". We have made things easier for tourists visiting Nepal. Our On Arrival Visa Procedure is very simple. Before you board on the plane, make sure you are national eligible for Visa on Arrival

Steps to acquire "ON Arrival Visa"

  1. Get your Arrival Card ready. Fill out all your details accurately.
  2. Fill out Online ’Tourist Visa' form (It can be filled in prior to your arrival  visiting official website of Department of Immigration / by using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). You will get submission receipt (with barcode). Get the print out of receipt (if you filled it online from website). A kiosk machine however automatically produces small receipt with barcode.
  3. Make payment  at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
  4. Get the receipt 
  5. Visa Fee Structure
     15 Days – 30 USD 
     30 Days – 50 USD
     90 Days – 125 USD
  6. Proceed to the Appropriate Immigration (Visa) Desk with receipt of your online form, Arrival card payment receipts and your passport (with validity of minimum six months).
  7. Hand in your documents to an immigration officer for visa processing.

Passport and Visa

Nepalese nationals travelling abroad require valid Nepali passport and visa for the destination country except in case of countries where "Visa on Arrival" is available.

Foreigners travelling to, within and from Nepal are required to hold a valid and genuine passport and visa. We do not accept handwritten Passport for your entry and departure. We refuse entry and deny departure if you are not travelling with valid Machine Readable Passport (MRP).

Nepali Citizens arriving from India: Passport /Citizenship Certificate

Indian Nationals arriving from India:  Passport/Election Card (Voter ID issued by Election Commission). 

Birth Certificates for minors below 18

Arrival to Nepal

Both domestic and foreign nationals should go through immigration checks after arriving at Tribhuvan International Airport. Passport or any other valid travel documents along with properly filled in arrival card should be presented to an immigration officer at concerned Immigration Desk. If you are wearing sunglasses and hats, please take them off so that the immigration officer can see you clearly while verifying your travel documents. Immigration officers might ask you related questions while screening through your documents. Kindly cooperate by answering questions patiently.There are designated desks for different categories of passengers. Follow the directions and proceed to your respective queues.

Immigration Desks are categorized as follows:

  1. Gratis
  2. Tourist Visa (15 Days)
  3. Tourist Visa (30  Days)
  4. Tourist Visa (90  Days/ Transit)
  5. Foreigner with Visa ( Foreigners who have already acquired visa )
  6. Official/Diplomatic (Priority given to Official/Diplomatic Passport holders)
  7. Crew (Exclusively for Crew Members. Crew members are required to produce General Declaration and Passport and their valid ID)
  8. General Entry  (Nepali and Indian citizen / Passport holder)

Visa Waiver / Exemptions

Based on reciprocity, we have provision of visa waiver to certain nationality and official status. Indian nationals travelling to Nepal by land or air do not need a visa. However, they are required to produce passport/election card (Voter ID issued by Election Commission) sufficient enough to prove their Indian nationality. Similarly, Birth Certificates for minors and School Identity Card for children below 18 years (accompanied by parents) is required.

Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport holders of the following countries are exempted from the visa requirement to enter and stay in Nepal, exit from Nepal and transit through Nepal.

  1. Thailand – Exemption up to 90 days
  2. Russian Federation – Exemption up to 90 days
  3. People’s Republic of China – Exemption up to 30 days
  4. Federal Republic of Brazil – Exemption up to 90 days
  5. Myanmar - Exemption up to 90 days   
  6. Vietnam - Exemption up to 90 days
  7. Cambodia - Exemption up to 30 days
  8. Mongolia - Exemption up to 90 days
  9. Jordan - Exemption up to 90 days

Gratis Visa (Tourist) Eligibility

  1.  Minors under 10 years except U.S citizens as per visa reciprocity with United States of America
  2. Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year
  3. Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder issued by MoFA and Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad
  4. Chinese Nationals


Both domestic and foreign nationals exiting out of Nepal from Tribhuvan International Airport should go through immigration checks. Valid travel document (Passport) and properly filled embarkation card should be presented to an immigration officer.

Desks are separated for different categories of passengers for quick and efficient immigration clearance. Identify your desk and proceed by following the signs placed for your convenience. Categories of Departure Desks are:

Crew Members should proceed to the crew desk for immigration checks with valid passport and ID. You are required to submit a General Declaration (as per I.C.A.O. Annex E 9 Appendix I ) of crew members from your airlines.

Nepalese citizens travelling on Tourist/Visit Visa should produce following evidences for Immigration clearance:

  1. Valid passport and Visa clarifying the purpose of travel, 
  2. Two-way air-ticket,
  3. Hotel booking
  4. A letter exhibiting details of the sponsor ( individual or institution)
  5.  1000 dollars ( cash/dollar stamping)

Nepali Citizens Travelling For Institutional Purpose:

  1. Invitation Letter
  2. Two-way air ticket
  3. A document showing institutional association

If you are travelling to visit your spouse (husband/wife) working in Gulf countries, you must produce recommendation letter issued by the concerned Nepalese Embassy verifying that you have been invited by your husband/wife.

Nepalese Citizens travelling for Foreign Employment

  1. Valid passport and Visa
  2. Boarding Pass to the final destination
  3.  Labour Permit issued by Government of Nepal

After you are done with immigration checks at Departure, proceed to security checks. Make sure you have your departure certified in your boarding pass and travel document (Passport). 

Visa Exemption

Visa Exemption for holders of Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport

Based on the reciprocal agreements between the two countries Nepali visa exemption facilities are available to the followings:

1. Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport holders of the following countries are exempted from the visa requirement to enter and stay in Nepal, exit from Nepal and transit through Nepal.

  1.  Thailand – Exemption up to 90 days.
  2.  Russian Federation – Exemption up to 90 days.
  3.  People’s Republic of China – Exemption up to 30 days.
  4.  Federal Republic of Brazil – Exemption up to 90 days.
  5. Myanmar - Exemption up to 90 days   
  6. Vietnam - Exemption up to 90 days
  7. Cambodia - Exemption up to 30 days
  8. Mongolia - Exemption up to 90 days
  9. Jordan - Exemption up to 90 days

 However, they are subjected to visa regulation after the stipulated duration of exemption.

2. Diplomats and officials with Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport working at the following diplomatic mission in Nepal and their dependents with Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport, staying with them in Nepal are exempted from the visa requirement till the former’s tenure in Nepal.

 A) Russian Federation

 B) Peoples Republic of China

 C) Federal Republic of Brazil

3. Those Diplomatic and Official Passport holders are required to move through the following Immigration Posts:

 A) Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu

 C) Kakarbhitta, Jhapa

 D) Birgunj, Parsa

 E) Belhia, Bhairahawa

 F) Nepalgunj, Bake

 G) Mohana, Kailali

 H) Gaddachwoki, Mahendranagar

 I) Kodari, Sindhupalchwok

 J) Rashuwagadi, Rashuwa

About Trekking Permit

Trekkers in Nepal are allowed to trek as FIT (Free Individual Trekker) or in a group of various sizes. However, there are certain trekking regions known as 'Restricted Areas' that are highly regulated by the Government of Nepal and hence FITs are strictly forbidden. Trekking in these areas is allowed only upon acquiring permit from the Department of Immigration. 

Interested trekkers should contact the authorized trekking agencies who then can apply for permits (on behalf of trekkers) at the Department of Immigration fulfilling all the necessary formalities. Trekkers should be trekking in a group (of minimum two persons) accompanied by licensed trekking guide. Individual trekker cannot apply for the permit.

There are different rates (trekking Permit fees) applicable for different routes to acquire the Permits. Visit the link for detail. Permit fees are quoted in US dollars but payable in Nepali Rupees. A trekking permit is not issued beyond visa expiration date. Hence, trekkers must have valid visa for sufficient number of days covering their trekking schedule.

Conditions to be followed by Trekkers

  1. Trekkers should respect local customs and traditions and must not indulge in any activity that goes against the established norms and culture of the society.
  2. Individual trekking in Restricted Areas is strictly forbidden. There should be minimum two trekkers.
  3. Daily remuneration, safety gears and appropriate clothes, Personal Accident insurance must be provided to Nepali citizen accompanying travel group as guide/porter/any other supporting roles.
  4. Trekkers should trek only in the specified or designated route as per the Trekking Permit. They are not allowed to change route. Or concerned trekking agency/trekking guide accompanying the group must not let trekkers change the route.
  5. Trekkers should comply with instructions given by authorized Officials in trekking zone (Restricted Area).
  6. Mountaineers with expedition permit should get trekking permit as well if they have to pass through Restricted Areas to climb peaks. In this case, they do not need to pay fees for (Trekking) Permit.

Authorized agencies can apply for trekking permits along with following documents

  1. Online application form (trekkers) Link to Trekking Permit Application
  2. Copy of Passport
  3. Copy of  valid Visa sufficient to cover trekking days
  4. Name lists of trekkers
  5. Program Schedule of trekking
  6. Guarantee letter of Agency
  7. Agreement with Agency
  8. Tax clearance Certificate of Trekking Agency
  9. Documents relating to the insurance of the trekkers (foreign nationals) and Nepalese staff accompanying the trekkers
  10. The license issued by The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Civil Aviation to operate trekking business
  11. The license issued by Nepal Rastra Bank allowing exchanging of foreign currencies
  12. The program schedule of trekking
  13. Registration Certificate of Permanent Account Number
  14. Voucher of Bank payment (fees) for permits

Brigitte Muir
Nima Dorjee Tamang
Chang Helen
Switzerland CONTACT