Rara Lake Trek / South Trekking Route
Rara Lake Trek / South Trekking Route Rara Lake Trek, Everest Expeditions Nepal offers a cultural and scenic adventure in Far North West around Jumla and Mugu district at Rara Lake, which is largest Lake in Nepal Himalaya of 10.8 sq kms)at an altitude 2,990 meter high, located within pristine environment, where few western trekkers venture due to its remoteness. Adventure to Rara Lake Trek begins with scenic flight to Nepalgunj at Nepal Far South West around warm area at Nepalgunj city, and then taking another short flight to Jumla, a headquarter town of Jumla itself located far north west…
Rara Lake Trek / South Trekking Route
Rara Lake Trek, Everest Expeditions Nepal offers a cultural and scenic adventure in Far North West around Jumla and Mugu district at Rara Lake, which is largest Lake in Nepal Himalaya of 10.8 sq kms)at an altitude 2,990 meter high, located within pristine environment, where few western trekkers venture due to its remoteness.
Adventure to Rara Lake Trek begins with scenic flight to Nepalgunj at Nepal Far South West around warm area at Nepalgunj city, and then taking another short flight to Jumla, a headquarter town of Jumla itself located far north west Nepal, as our walk leads to Mugu District as well.
Rara Lake protected by Rara National Park which is one of smallest park of the country, where altitude range from 1,800m to 4,048 m of pristine coniferous forest, blue pine, black juniper, Himalayan spruce, oak, Himalayan cypress and other related species.
This serene wilderness an ideal habitat for musk deer, other wildlife includes Himalayan black bear, leopard, goral, Himalayan Thar and wild boar. Snow trout is the only fish species in the deep serene Rara Lake Trek.
Resident Gallinaceous birds and migrant waterfowl also quite commonly sighted around the lake area Trekking in himalaya.
Enchanting Rara Lake Trek: Exploring the Pristine Wilderness of Nepal’s Far West
This wonderful journey starting with a scenic flight to warm tropic at Nepalgunj city in Nepal’s Far South West, and then taking another sweeping flight to land in Jumla where our walk begins to Rara Lake visiting, the trail leads through interesting villages of Hindu Thakuri Malla and Tibetan influenced tribes with rich old traditions and custom, walk leads with amazing views of high snow capped mountains.
After a nice great trekking reaching at Rara Lake with time to marvel its spectacular scenery and surrounding in complete wilderness with views of distant mountains, after an enjoyable time around Rara Lake our return journey heading back to Jumla via Pina 2,580 m, Jhyari, Chauta 2,770 m over Ghurchi Lagna pass 3,460 m, the highest point of the journey, and then on downhill to Jumla via Tharamara 3,270 m high ridge for the flight back to Kathmandu through Nepalgunj, after a most mesmerizing and wonderful moment on Rara Lake trekking with great service and arrangement of Nepal Base Camp Trek
The Rara Lake Trek on the South Trekking Route is a remarkable journey that offers a plethora of highlights, making it an unforgettable adventure in Nepal’s western region. Some of the key trip highlights include:
- Rara Lake – Jewel of the Western Region: The trek revolves around Rara Lake, the largest lake in Nepal and a stunning gem nestled amidst the Himalayan wilderness. The serene and crystal-clear waters of the lake reflect the surrounding landscapes, creating picture-perfect vistas.
- Unspoiled Natural Beauty: The trek takes you through diverse landscapes, from lush forests of pine, spruce, and rhododendron to alpine meadows, terraced fields, and traditional villages. The unspoiled beauty of the region offers a captivating experience for nature lovers.
- Rara National Park: The entire trek lies within the boundaries of Rara National Park, which is a haven for diverse flora and fauna. The park is home to rare wildlife, including musk deer, Himalayan black bears, red pandas, and numerous bird species.
- Remote and Off-the-Beaten-Path Adventure: The South Trekking Route to Rara Lake is less frequented than other popular treks in Nepal, making it a perfect choice for trekkers seeking a more tranquil and secluded experience.
- Local Culture and Villages: Along the trekking trail, you’ll encounter charming traditional villages inhabited by ethnic groups like the Thakuri, Magar, and Tibetan communities. Interact with the friendly locals, experience their unique culture, and witness their way of life.
- Scenic Mountain Views: The trek offers stunning vistas of the surrounding Himalayan peaks, including Chuchemara Peak (4,087m) and Ruma Kand (3,731m), among others.
- Photographer’s Paradise: The entire trek route presents fantastic photography opportunities, from landscapes and wildlife to cultural encounters and the mesmerizing reflections in Rara Lake.
- Moderate Difficulty Level: The trek is considered moderately difficult, making it accessible to trekkers with a reasonable level of fitness and some prior trekking experience.
- Tranquil Camping Experience: Camping by the picturesque Rara Lake and other serene locations along the trail adds an element of adventure and connection to nature.
- Warm Hospitality: Experience the genuine warmth and hospitality of the Nepalese people, both in the remote villages and at the tea houses along the trekking route.
Arrive in Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. Meet the trekking agency representative and transfer to the hotel. Rest and prepare for the trek.
Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj, a city in the western Terai region. Overnight stay at a hotel.
Take a morning flight from Nepalgunj to Jumla. Upon arrival, meet the trekking crew and begin trekking. The trail goes through terraced fields and traditional villages to reach Jumla. Overnight at a tea house.
The trek starts with a gradual ascent along the Jugad Khola. Pass through pine and oak forests, and rhododendron blooms during the season. Reach Danphe Lagna and camp overnight.
Descend to Chautha, a small village with a few tea houses. The trail passes through alpine meadows and crosses streams. Enjoy the scenic beauty of the surrounding landscapes.
The trail ascends and descends through forests and steep ridges. Cross the Sinja Khola via a suspension bridge before reaching Dhotu.
Trek through pine, spruce, and rhododendron forests, passing picturesque villages. Reach the enchanting Rara Lake, surrounded by lush vegetation and snow-capped peaks. Camp by the lake.
Spend a day exploring the area around Rara Lake. Enjoy the tranquility of the lake and its reflections of the surrounding mountains.
Descend to Pina, a small village with traditional houses. Experience the local culture and lifestyle of the villagers.
The trail passes through beautiful pine forests and meadows. Continue trekking to reach Bumra, a remote village with a Tibetan influence.
Descend through forests and terraced fields, passing several villages. Arrive in Jumla and celebrate the successful completion of the trek.
Fly back to Nepalgunj from Jumla and then take a connecting flight to Kathmandu. Transfer to the hotel in Kathmandu.
Depart from Kathmandu with wonderful memories of the Rara Lake Trek and Nepal’s natural beauty.
- Trekking Permits: The cost of necessary trekking permits, such as the TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management System) card and the Rara National Park entry permit, is usually included in the package.
- Airport Transfers: Transfers to and from the airport in Kathmandu are often included as part of the package.
- Accommodation: Accommodation in tea houses or lodges during the trek is typically included. The cost covers a basic room with shared facilities along the trail.
- Meals: Most trekking packages include three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) during the trek. Meals are often provided at the tea houses or lodges where you stay.
- Licensed Guide: A licensed trekking guide is usually provided to lead the trek and ensure your safety and comfort throughout the journey.
- Porter Service: Many packages include the service of a porter who can carry a certain amount of your luggage during the trek. This allows you to trek with a lighter backpack.
- Internal Flights: If the package includes a flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj and Jumla (starting and ending point of the trek), the cost of these domestic flights is often covered.
- International Flights: The package usually does not include international flights to and from Nepal.
- Travel Insurance: Travel insurance, including helicopter evacuation in case of emergencies, is typically not included, but it’s essential to have comprehensive insurance coverage for the trek.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses, such as extra snacks, drinks, hot showers, Wi-Fi, battery charging, etc., are generally not included.
- Trekking Equipment: You are responsible for bringing your own trekking gear, including clothing, sleeping bag, trekking poles, and other personal equipment.
- Tips and Gratuities: Tips for guides, porters, and other trekking staff are not included in the package cost and are at your discretion.
- Additional Services: Any optional activities or services not specified in the itinerary, such as sightseeing tours in Kathmandu, are usually not included.
The Rara Lake Trek on the South Trekking Route is an incredible journey through the remote and unspoiled landscapes of Nepal’s western region. Here is some essential trip information for those planning to embark on this adventure:
Trek Duration: The Rara Lake Trek typically takes around 10 to 14 days to complete, depending on the chosen itinerary and trekking pace.
Best Time to Trek: The best time to undertake the Rara Lake Trek is during Nepal’s two peak trekking seasons: Spring (March to May) and Autumn (September to November). These months offer stable weather conditions, clear skies, and moderate temperatures, making for an enjoyable and safe trekking experience.
Trek Difficulty: The trek is considered moderately difficult, suitable for trekkers with a reasonable level of fitness. While there are some uphill and downhill sections, the trail does not involve any technical climbing. However, it’s essential to acclimatize properly to the altitude, as the highest point of the trek reaches around 3,710 meters (12,170 feet) at Rara Lake.
Permits: Trekkers are required to obtain two permits for this trek: the TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management System) card and the Rara National Park entry permit. These permits can be arranged through registered trekking agencies in Kathmandu or obtained at the respective checkpoints during the trek.
Accommodation: Accommodation during the trek is mostly in tea houses or lodges, which provide basic yet comfortable amenities. The availability of facilities may vary, so it’s advisable to carry essential items like a sleeping bag and toiletries.
Meals: Most tea houses and lodges along the trail offer a varied menu of Nepali and Western dishes. While the options might be limited in some places, trekkers can expect to find wholesome meals to fuel their journey.
Altitude Sickness: As the trek involves gaining significant altitude, there is a risk of altitude sickness. Adequate acclimatization and a gradual ascent are crucial to prevent altitude-related health issues. Trekkers should be aware of the symptoms and descend immediately if severe symptoms occur.
Guides and Porters: While it’s possible to do the trek independently, many trekkers opt to hire a licensed guide and/or porter for support and local expertise. Guides can enhance the experience by sharing cultural insights and ensuring a smooth journey, while porters can carry heavy backpacks, allowing trekkers to enjoy the trek more comfortably.
Preparation: Prior physical training and cardiovascular exercises can help improve overall fitness for the trek. Additionally, packing essential trekking gear, appropriate clothing, and a good pair of hiking boots are essential for a successful and comfortable journey.
The Rara Lake Trek on the South Trekking Route is an opportunity to escape into Nepal’s wilderness, witness stunning landscapes, and immerse in the tranquility of Rara Lake—a journey that promises unforgettable memories and a deep connection with nature.
- Best Price Guarantee
- Hassle-Free Booking
- No Booking or Credit Card Fees