upper Mustang Trekking
Upper Mustang Trekking Overview The Upper Mustang Trekking is an extraordinary journey that offers a captivating blend of cultural exploration and breathtaking landscapes in the remote region of Nepal. Nestled between the towering peaks of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges, Upper Mustang is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for trekkers seeking a unique adventure. This trek takes you through the ancient kingdom of Mustang, which was inaccessible to foreigners until 1992, preserving its distinctive Tibetan culture and architecture. The trail leads you through arid desert-like terrain, adorned with eroded cliffs, deep gorges, and enchanting rock formations. The highlight of the trek is…
Upper Mustang Trekking Overview
The Upper Mustang Trekking is an extraordinary journey that offers a captivating blend of cultural exploration and breathtaking landscapes in the remote region of Nepal. Nestled between the towering peaks of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges, Upper Mustang is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for trekkers seeking a unique adventure.
This trek takes you through the ancient kingdom of Mustang, which was inaccessible to foreigners until 1992, preserving its distinctive Tibetan culture and architecture. The trail leads you through arid desert-like terrain, adorned with eroded cliffs, deep gorges, and enchanting rock formations. The highlight of the trek is the captivating Lo Manthang, a walled city resembling a labyrinth of whitewashed buildings with ornate monasteries, stupas, and palaces, offering a glimpse into Mustang’s rich history.
The journey offers a diverse range of landscapes, from barren landscapes to lush valleys. Along the way, you’ll encounter traditional villages where locals welcome you with warm hospitality, providing insight into their unique way of life, Buddhism-influenced customs, and vibrant festivals. The panoramic views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, and Dhaulagiri peaks as you traverse high-altitude passes are simply awe-inspiring.
The trek generally spans around 10 to 14 days, with the best seasons being spring and autumn. Due to its remote location, trekkers require a special permit to enter Upper Mustang, adding to the exclusivity of the experience. Accommodation ranges from basic tea houses to camping, adding an adventurous touch.
Conclusion and Summary
In summary, the Upper Mustang Trekking is an expedition that marries natural beauty with cultural immersion. It’s a rare chance to witness a region untouched by modernization, where time seems to have stood still, all while relishing the grandeur of the Himalayas. Whether you’re a seasoned trekker or an adventurer at heart, this trek promises an unforgettable journey through a hidden gem of Nepal.
The Upper Mustang Trekking trip is a unique experience with stunning landscapes and cultural highlights. Here are some of the highlights of the Upper Mustang Trekking trip:
- Restricted Area: Upper Mustang is a restricted area and has been open for trekking only since 1992, so it remains unspoiled and retains its authentic Tibetan culture and traditions.
- Unique Landscapes: The landscapes of Upper Mustang are unique and fascinating, with barren desert-like terrain, deep gorges, and rugged mountains. The views of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges are breathtaking.
- Ancient Caves and Monasteries: Upper Mustang is home to many ancient caves and monasteries, some of which date back to the 14th century. The caves were once used by monks for meditation, and the monasteries have intricate murals, sculptures, and ancient artifacts.
- Lo Manthang: The walled city of Lo Manthang is the cultural and religious center of Upper Mustang. It is home to the 14th-century Royal Palace, and the narrow streets and ancient buildings offer a glimpse into the past.
- Tibetan Culture and Traditions: The people of Upper Mustang are of Tibetan origin and have a distinct culture and traditions. They have their own language, dress, and customs, and their hospitality and warmth towards visitors are unmatched.
- High Passes: The trek involves crossing several high passes, including the Lo La Pass, the Chogo La Pass, and the Dhakmar Pass, which offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Remote and Isolated: Upper Mustang is a remote and isolated region, with limited access to modern amenities. This adds to the adventure and challenge of the trek, and makes it a truly unique experience.
You will be picked up from the airport and transferred to your hotel. You can spend the rest of the day exploring the vibrant city of Kathmandu.
You will take a scenic drive or a short flight to Pokhara. You can spend the rest of the day exploring the beautiful lake city of Pokhara.
You will take an early morning flight to Jomsom and start your trek to Kagbeni. You will walk along the Kali Gandaki River and enjoy the views of the Nilgiri and Dhaulagiri mountains. You will cross the river and reach Kagbeni, a small village located at the entrance to Upper Mustang.
You will trek through the barren landscapes and cross the Kali Gandaki River several times. You will reach the village of Tangbe and then continue to Chele, a small village with a Tibetan-style fortress.
You will cross several high passes and walk through narrow gorges to reach Syangboche, a small village with a few teahouses.
You will cross the Yamda La pass and descend to the village of Ghami, known for its ancient monastery and cave dwellings.
You will trek through a barren landscape and cross the Tsarang La pass to reach the village of Charang. You will visit the ancient red-painted Gompa and explore the village.
You will trek through the Lo La pass and descend to Lo Manthang, the capital of Upper Mustang. You will visit the 14th century palace and explore the ancient walled city.
You will spend the day exploring the city, visiting the monasteries, and interacting with the locals to learn about their culture and traditions.
You will trek back through the Lo La pass and reach the village of Dhakmar, known for its red cliffs and rock formations.
You will cross several high passes and reach the village of Ghiling, known for its stunning landscapes and ancient monastery.
You will trek back to Chhuksang, crossing the Kali Gandaki River several times and passing through several small villages.
You will trek back to Jomsom and celebrate the completion of your trek with your guide and porter.
You will take an early morning flight to Pokhara and spend the rest of the day exploring the city.
You will take a scenic drive or a short flight back to Kathmandu and spend the rest of the day exploring the city.
You will be transferred to the airport for your flight back home or to your next destination.
1. Airport Pick-up and Drop Off,
2. Licensed and trained trekking guides,
3. potters for carrying goods and supplies,
4. Meal on full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea & coffee) basis during the trek
5. 3 Nights Accommodation in the 3/4/5 Star Hotel in Kathmandu with B & B. (Bed
& Breakfast) & Other Destination Based on Trekking Area.
6. All accommodation during the trek.
7. All meals and hot beverages during the trek.
8. Transportation to and from trail head.
9. All necessary documents and permits for trekking (where applicable)
10. National Park/Conservation Area entry Permit, Insurance, and equipment for the staffs.
11. Coordination of quick Rescue service (Costs covered by your Insurance Plan)
12. Trekking staffs wages etc.
13. 1 hr. trekker massage after your trek.
14. Welcome and Fare well dinner in a Nepali Cultural Dance restaurant in Kathmandu.
15. Trekking Duffle Bag
16. Trekking Staff Insurance of $10,000 Per Person.
17. Trekking Map, T-shirt, and Trekking certificate.
18. Exclusive of Medical Kit Bag
19. All Government and local Taxes
20. International Flight ticket re-confirmation.
21. Meals will be Start when your Trek starts.
1. International Airfares,
2. Travel/Trekking Insurance,
3. Excess baggage charges More than 16kg and hand bag more than 5 kg in
4. Visa fees.
5. Airport Departure Taxes.
6. Drinks (Cold and Alcoholic) Rescue charge.
7. Tips for The staffs.
8. Expenses of Personnel nature and Permit and Liaison officer fee (where Applicable.
9. Meals during stay in the Kathmandu and Pokhara.
10. Domestic Ticket Etc.
11. Extra Hotel in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
Upper Mustang Trekking is a popular and challenging trekking destination located in the Mustang region of Nepal. The trek offers a unique blend of natural and cultural wonders, as it takes you through the high altitude desert of Mustang, offering stunning views of the Himalayas, and also lets you experience the Tibetan Buddhist culture and traditions of the region.
Here is some general information about the Upper Mustang Trek:
Duration: The trek usually takes around 12-14 days to complete, but can be customized according to your preferences.
Best time to visit: The best time to trek in Upper Mustang is during the spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) seasons, as the weather is clear and the temperature is mild.
Permit: Trekking in Upper Mustang requires a special permit from the Nepalese government, as it is a restricted area. The permit cost varies according to the time of year and duration of the trek.
Difficulty level: The trek is considered to be moderately challenging, with high altitude and some steep climbs. It is recommended for experienced trekkers with good fitness levels.
Highlights: The main highlights of the trek include exploring the ancient walled city of Lo Manthang, visiting ancient monasteries, experiencing the local culture and traditions, and enjoying the scenic beauty of the high altitude desert landscape.
Accommodation: Accommodation options in Upper Mustang are limited, with basic guesthouses and teahouses available along the trekking route. Camping is also an option, but requires additional permits and equipment.
Equipment: Trekking gear such as sturdy hiking boots, warm clothing, a sleeping bag, and a backpack are essential for the Upper Mustang Trek. It is also recommended to carry a good quality trekking pole and a first-aid kit.
Overall, the Upper Mustang Trek is a unique and challenging adventure that offers a rare glimpse into the ancient culture and stunning natural beauty of the Mustang region.
- Best Price Guarantee
- Hassle-Free Booking
- No Booking or Credit Card Fees