Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek
Overview The Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek is a breathtaking journey through the pristine landscapes of the Indian state of Sikkim, offering trekkers a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in the majesty of the Himalayas and witness the world's third-highest peak, Kanchenjunga, up close. Spanning over 300 kilometers and taking approximately 20 days to complete, this trek is also an unforgettable adventure that promises to leave travelers in awe of nature's grandeur. The journey commences in Yuksom, a quaint town known for its historical significance, as it was the first capital of Sikkim. From here, the trail winds through lush forests, charming…
The Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek is a breathtaking journey through the pristine landscapes of the Indian state of Sikkim, offering trekkers a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in the majesty of the Himalayas and witness the world’s third-highest peak, Kanchenjunga, up close. Spanning over 300 kilometers and taking approximately 20 days to complete, this trek is also an unforgettable adventure that promises to leave travelers in awe of nature’s grandeur.
The journey commences in Yuksom, a quaint town known for its historical significance, as it was the first capital of Sikkim. From here, the trail winds through lush forests, charming villages, and cascading waterfalls. Trekkers are treated to stunning views of snow-capped mountains, including the mighty Kanchenjunga, as they pass through a diverse range of landscapes.
The route is a perfect blend of challenging ascents and leisurely walks, catering to both seasoned trekkers and enthusiasts alike. The trail gradually leads to higher altitudes, offering ample opportunities for acclimatization to ensure the safety and well-being of trekkers. Along the way, encounters with friendly locals and glimpses of their unique culture add an enriching cultural dimension to the journey.
One of the highlights of the trek is the Pangpema Base Camp, which also provides an awe-inspiring view of the colossal Kanchenjunga. The surrounding glaciers, alpine meadows, and glacial lakes create a surreal setting that makes the strenuous climb worthwhile.
Throughout the expedition, trekkers might spot various Himalayan wildlife, such as the elusive snow leopard, red panda, and various bird species, adding to the trek’s allure. Camping under the starlit skies and waking up to the pristine mountain air makes for a truly immersive wilderness experience.
Conclusion and Summary
The Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek is also a transformative adventure that tests one’s physical endurance, mental resilience, and appreciation for nature’s marvels. The serene beauty and untouched landscapes of this region make it an unparalleled trekking destination, allowing trekkers to forge unforgettable memories and a profound connection with the Himalayas. Whether seeking solitude amidst nature or an adrenaline-fueled escapade, this trek promises an experience of a lifetime.
- Relish the panoramic view of the neighbouring mountains – Frey Peak (5830m), Koktang (6,148m), Kabru Peak (7,412 m), Ratong, Chandra Peak and the Kabru Dome (6600m).
- Meet and great people of remote villages.
- Trek to the base camp of the third highest mountain in the world is an experience to remember.
- Take a tour of a Sikkim tea garden, learn about the various kinds of teas, and spend some time in the midst of nature.
- Explore the colourful culture of Sikkim by going for a monastery tour.
Other Benfits (On Arrival)
- Stay Included
Arrive in Delhi; meet with our representative and get transferred to your pre-booked hotel. (Hotel B & B)
We will drive to the Darjeeling, which is approximately a four hour journey. During the journey, witness the beautiful villages and lush green tea plantations.
During the course of the journey, we will visit the Pemayangtse monastery, located at 2800m. It is one of the oldest gompas in Sikkim.
We will trail up to the Rathong valley after crossing through the thick and semi-tropical forests. Later, we descend to Tsoska, a small awe-inspiring Tibetan village. From here, we get a great view of the Himalayan and Kanchenjunga peaks.
We trail on the serpentine routes through the temperate forests to reach Phedang. After reaching at an altitude of 300m, we follow the ridge to reach Dzongri, which serves as an excellent pasture region for the Yuksam yaks, especially between the months of April and October.
If the health of the trekking group is in excellent condition, then we will trek northwest to the Dzongri over the Rathong glacier and reach the beautiful peaks on the border with Nepal. Besides, this trekking route, we also have another very short trail that can be organized towards the Dzongri Peak (4320m). From here, you can enjoy a breathtaking view of Mount Kanchenjunga (8586m), the third highest summit in the world.
We walk through rhododendron forest to reach the glacial Prek river. We will set up our camps on the lush green grass of Thangshing. From here the southern ridge of Kanchenjunga and the Onglakhing glacier can be seen directly.
Today, we trail to the west side of Pandim to reach Zemathang. We take trail towards the Onglakhing glacier and climb up to the shores of the Samity lake. The lake is a source of Prek river from where the Forked Peak, Kabru North, Gocha Peak and other snow-capped peaks are clearly visible.
Early in the morning, we trek to the Gocha La pass and see Kanchenjunga peak and Talung glacier.
After a steep descent, we stroll through alpine regions and pass by small pristine lakes.
A steep ascent leads to the pass, from where we descend through a luxuriant tropical forest.
Today we will walk in the half-light of the undergrowth, through a dense forest, where lianas tangle and moss and orchids hide tree trunks.
An easy walk, in an atmosphere that goes on to become more humid and heavier as we trek further.
En route, we visit the Tashiding monastery that is located on the top of hill between two rivers.
We visit Rumtek monastery that is well-known for its traditional Tibetan art. Here the visitors can also seek the blessings of the almighty.
Today, we will visit the Orchid Sanctuary to the 454 orchid species. Later, we will be visiting the To Enchey and Do Drul monasteries, and the Tibetology Institute that includes one of the great collections of ‘thankas’ and other religious works in the world.
Gangtok – Bagdogra (by car) – Delhi (by plane).
(Hotel B & B)
Safety day for your international flight. (Hotel B & B)
Transfer to airport for your onward journey.
- Airport pick up and transfer to hotel.
- Delhi / Bhadrapur to Bagdora overland transportation service by train,
- Airport pick up & drop including all necessary transportation
- need and clean good category hotels Accommodation in Darjeeling, Gangtok & Yuksom with Bed & Breakfast (CP Basis).
- Trekking support with trekking guide, cook, potters, yaks, trekking accommodation with meals & beverages
- services for Sikkim Kanchenjugna trekking permit
- Khangchendzonga National Park fees & other necessary services.
- While on trek we will provide you Dome/Alpine trekking tents on twin sharing basis, Camping mattresses, camping stool, table, kitchen tent etc.
- Trekking porter /sherpa who will carry your bag pack during the trekking.(two person will get one trekking sherpa/ porter)
- All program as mentioned in itinerary
- Overland transportation
- Trekking guide both way flight ticket
- Insurance for staff. ( Trekking guide, and porters)
- Guide and porter fares and taxes.
- Government Tax and office service charge.
- Airport drop
- Expenses of personal nature such as laundry, telephone, alcohol and personal insurance however covers immediate medical facilities
- extra expenses due to unforeseen circumstances such as landslide/strike/accidents/natural calamities, Ropeway,
- Airfare Ticket, internal flight,
- Himalayan toy train ride in Darjeeling, tips etc.
- International flight ticket
- High risk medical insurance
- Alcoholic beverage and telephone calls
- Soft drinks such as cola, mineral water
- Emergency rescue evacuation if needed
- Purely personal nature expenses
- Tipping /Tips(Tipping is Expected).
- Best Price Guarantee
- Hassle-Free Booking
- No Booking or Credit Card Fees